Monday, April 2, 2012

McNett Aquamira Frontier Ultralight Filter Under rated product!! Dump the pump man!


McNett Aquamira Frontier Pro Ultralight Water Filter
  • Bite Me Valve with protective cap and integrated strap grip
  • Provides all the benefits of a larger bottle filter in a compact size
  • Replacement pre-filters lengthen filter life.
  • Filters up to 50 gallons
  • Straw style filter attaches directly to water bottles or bladders
  • Just got out of the hospital Pro's1. The filter is very portable I carried it in my pocket and drank whenever I took a break from paddling.2. Price tag is awesome.3. The design is very simple to use.Con's1. I am very portable as well in an ambulance.2. The price tag of spending 3 days in the hospital will outweigh any savings on this unit.3. They decided to place the words Bite Me in raised lettering on the nozzle. The edges are very sharp and every time that you suck to draw water into your mouth your tongue rubs on the letters. It did not take long for a sore spot to develop on the tip of my tongue from using this unit for 2 days.Lesson's learned1. Chemically treat all water. I was kayaking in Vermont the water was very clear but it does not mean that it is free of all kinds of lovely things that want to use your colon as an amusement park ride.2. Bring water with you from a known source. I hate dragging water while I'm on the water but it is better than the alternative.3. Boil water for drinking if you don't want to carry as much. I almost always have a campfire going at some point each day anyways so this is free clean water.
    Wasn't too happy I wanted to try this disposable gravity filter after hearing others talk about it on a hiking forum. I use AquaMira water treatment drops as my preferred method anyway so I thought this filter would be a nice compliment. Sure it's compact lightweight and screws on top of any standard water bottle but if your expecting fast water flow think again. It just doesnt have sufficient flow to be practical. The only way I could get adequate amounts of water out this filter was by squeezing the bottle it was attached to thereby forcing the water out and unscrewing the filter from the bottle to release the vacuum pressure that invariably builds up. Not good and super frustrating. Yes I followed all the prefilter instructions. This one got tossed the first chance I could.If you want to try a gravity filter on your next hike explore other brands and models first. You'll be happier you did.
    cheap emergency preparedness It does what it advertises easy to carry and simple to use. Can mean the difference between life and death and very inexpensive. Bought 5 and sharing as gifts to outdoor and survival friends. Good for 72hr kit.
    Leaks at prefilter. Clogs far too easily After four months it looks like the company has roundly ignored the following complaint I sent in Sept. 2010Dear Aquamire/McNettI purchased four filters for 30 days on the JMT despite reviews that the product easily clogs and freezes. I figured since I was headed into the High Sierra with exceptionally clear water sources that I would be ok as long as I checked and changed the prefilter regularly and slept with it in my bag every night to avoid freezing. Sadly all four filters failed. The failures I experienced were of two kinds1. The filters all leaked from the threaded joint where the prefilter sits. Thus unfiltered water trickled down onto and into my clean water reservoir.2. All four filters clogged up well before their advertised 50 gallon capacity. In fact none of them lasted more than 40 liters despite clear sources and daily checks/replacement of the prefilter.I found myself having to rely on iodine tablets and the kindness of other hikers who allowed us to use their pump filters. I am extremely unhappy to have had to pay as much as I did for such a hassle indignity and risk to our health.In addition to money misspent on your filters I've lost my investment in the compatible Platypus products which we had to purchase in order to use your product. Actual amazon.com receipts are enclosed. Needless to say I cannot rely in future on your gravity filters therefore in addition to the expense of purchasing four filters my expenses totaled $199.87Not good please advise.
    Don't drink chemically untreated water with this filter! This is a great little filter for what it does. Learn what each type of water treatment does and does not do. I wouldn't drink water from any natural source even a stream or lake through this without also chemically treating it too. If I would then I probably would have drank it with out any treatment like from a known pure source ie. trusted spring.Most of the pump filters in common use filter out bacteria some remove viruses and most all remove giardia and cryptosporidium .
    Great Addition to Your Gear The Frontier Pro Ultralight Water Filter System by McNett is a lightweight multiuse water filtration system that works well for its intended purpose. Filters such as this one are not designed to be a primary water filter and are best utilized as a backup system or in conjunction with other methods to make water safe to drink.Pros+ Lowcost+ Small lightweight and portable+ Removes Giardia and Cryptosporidium+ Filters up to 50 gallons+ Multiple methods to utilize this filter+ Floats if accidentally dropped into water+ Comes with three replacement prefilters+ Flexible Strap Grip secures cap to filter when not in use+ Works well for its intended purposeCons Nonreplaceable filter cartridge Flow rate is okay but not the fastest Cannot be frozen or filter may be compromised The straw can be difficult to remove from its attachment Does does not protect users against food borne or disease causing bacteria viruses germs or other disease causing organisms States that it will fit onto any standard soda or water bottle but this is not necessarily the case. Many water bottles are now more environmentally conscious and are using less plastic in their bottle. Many have cut down the number of threads on the screw top which prevents this unit from attaching to the bottle.If given the opportunity I would still prefer to boil water use water filtration tablets or even a higher quality filter. But if this is all I have I am still good to go!This system is very light doesn't take up much room is simple to use and reasonably priced.
    Difficult to suck through I used this for my Camelbak. I found it unusually hard to suck through. I'm just going to stick to the tablets from now on.
    NOT a Pump! This filter is really not what I thought I was getting. It's basically a straw that filters as you suck the water through it. But at the same time it ended up being perfect for my backcountry hike! I used the adapter to hook this on the end of my hydration pack drinking tube replacing the bite valve that came with the pack. It worked well was super simple and the water tasted great.The down side is that I only bought one thinking it was some kind of pump and there were two of us on the hike. You do the math.
    Under rated product!! Dump the pump man! I've used this on many deep woods hikes and it's worked great! This is a light weight hikers dream when used with the right system. It would be perfect for a backup.
    very practical I picked up one of these for the emergency car kit in my wife's vehicle which is the family minivan. We keep a small case of water in the vehicle but I like having this as a backup. The filter fits on the standard water bottle threads it is easy to see to value of carrying this unit along with some water treatment tablets for the nasties that the filter won't remove. We also keep a couple of 750ml single wall stainless steel bottles in the kit as well in case we need to boil water. It's always good to have a few methods to make drinking water potable.


    Bite Me Valve with protective cap and integrated strap grip.Provides all the benefits of a larger bottle filter in a compact size.Replacement pre-filters lengthen filter life..Filters up to 50 gallons.Straw style filter attaches directly to water bottles or bladders. The Frontier Pro Ultralight Water Filter provides all the benefits of a larger bottle filter in a compact size. This straw style filter attaches directly to water bottles or bladders and attached cap keeps mouthpiece clean. Flexible, integrated "Strap Grip" secures cap to filter when not in use and allows for easy cap removal. Bite valve can also be removed to use as a hanging drip filter. Four replacement pre-filters lengthen filter life. Filters up to 50 gallons. McNett customer care @ 1-800-221-7325 (or) www.mcnett.


    Related Products
    • Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System Pretty good but be prepared for initial carbon This system is much like everyone mentions. It's light weighing about as much as 5 quarters. It's compact about the size of a roll of pennies. The filtration unit seems pretty sturdy and would ...Read the full

    • Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets Comparing chemical treatment methods The EPA estimates that 90% of the world's fresh water is contaminated and unsuitable for drinking. The days of kneeling down on a hike and sipping from the stream are long gone. Don't make the mistake of thinking that just ...Read the full

    • Emergency Fire Starter Works Perfect Just follow the directions UPDATED3282011 SEE UPDATE SECTION AT ENDI tried this magnesium fire starting tool SEEmergency Fire Starter SE
    • Platy Soft Bottle with Closure Cap Great for backpacking or hiking This holds 80 ounces a little more than 2 liters hence the 2+L and fits fairly well in my pack's reservoir pouch. The fit is a little tight but since it's just a pouch it crumples up easily. I would strongly ...Read the full

    • Aquamira Water Treatment Drops 1oz Excellent water quality I used this water treatment kit to purify swamp water from the Florida Everglades and it worked very well. Since it's the dry season and the water holes are rather small with no flow whatsoever the water had a 'swampy' ...Read the full

    No comments:

    McNett Aquamira Frontier Ultralight Filter Under rated product!! Dump the pump man! Post a Comment

    water bottle with straw Popular Posts